In the course of your wedding plans, you will spend numerous weeks deciding on the perfect wedding dress, the food that will be served at your reception and the ideal venue for your special day. However, dont forget to spend the same amount of time on energy on your honeymoon plans!
Most of the time, a honeymoon is something that takes a backseat in a couple’s wedding planning. A honeymoon is the first holiday you will spend together as husband and wife, and naturally, you will want this to be unforgettable and extra special. Therefore, the activities that you should be planning for this trip should suit both your tastes. Among the top choices for honeymooners are exotic beaches like in Maldives, Thailand or an island on the Great Barrier Reef. There is a wide range of options when it comes to a romantic island honeymoon, however, many couples prefer different adventures like surfing, skydiving or mountain climbing adventures. Whatever you choose remember that some RnR (Rest and Relaxation!) will be in order after the excited of the wedding, so make sure you factor this in!
So how do you plan a honeymoon? First of all, set aside some of you time thinking of this trip and then, follow these useful tips:
- Decide on your honeymoon budget. You may already have something set aside for your honeymoon trip when you started your wedding plans. If not, take time to sit down and plan your budget. If you have a credit card, you may also consider putting some of your wedding expenses on it in order to earn more hotel or frequent flier miles for the honeymoon. If you have a gift registry on thankyou for your wedding and have listed your trip as an online contribution gift, you may check and redeem the honeymoon funds and see how much you still need to add to top up for the trip.
- Plan the date and duration of the entire honeymoon. If both of you are working, check how many holidays you have left. Here’s a tip if you don’t have many day leave plan a weekend “mini-moon” after your wedding and then have a longer second honeymoon on your first anniversary.
- Speak to a travel agent. Once you have decided where to go and what activities you’d like to do on your honeymoon, it might also be a good idea to consult a travel agent for your trip. While most people book their travel online these days, time poor brides and grooms may find a professional travel agent extremely helpful with planning and organising bookings and the like, not to mention pertinent info about visa requirements or what the weather will be like. Additionally, your travel agent may also have a special package or travel discounts that can be passed on to you.
- Learn more about the place. As soon as you have decided where to go, read more about the place through a travel book or go online to have an idea of everything there is to see and do. Learning about your destination will save you more time and will allow you to enjoy and get the most out of your honeymoon. This will also give you an idea of what things you should pack for your trip.
- Always check your travel documents. Your passports, visas and driver’s license should be up to date (if necessary). These details may take some time to be settled, so you need to make sure that you get these all sorted before traveling. Remember if you are changing your name, you will still need to travel on your maiden name as there will not be time to get new documents issued if you are traveling directly after the wedding.
Your first trip together as a married couple will be as special as your wedding day when you plan it with the same amount of care! Enjoy the holiday, do not forget to send your thank-you notes after you return relaxed and refreshed
Tell us about your planning experience and share some more of your honeymoon travel tips below.